Sunday, January 25, 2009

Birth Story Part 1

On April 3, 2008 at about 2am I woke up feeling a tightening in my belly. At first I thought it was more of those annoying braxton hicks contractions, but as the night wore on it became apparent that after 41 weeks of being pregnant I was finally in labor! I was surprisingly very calm once I realized I was in labor. I did not wake my husband up and I fell back asleep on and off. I knew that the contractions were not close enough or strong enough to have me go to the hospital so I figured I would get as much sleep as I could. It did not occur to me that I did not feel Addison moving during this time, I was more focused on the contractions. At about 5:30 that morning the contractions were happening more often so I woke up my husband to tell him and then I took a shower because I knew I would not have the chance later in the day. Once I got out of the shower I told my husband to shower because we would be going to the hospital shortly. As I was putting my hair in a ponytail, I had to stop because I got a pretty strong contraction. My dogs kept trying to cuddle up to me because they knew I was in pain, it was actually very cute at the time. I told them that their baby sister would be coming home very soon! At about 6 I called my OB's office to let them know I was having contractions that were steadily getting stronger and more frequent. They called back and said I could go to the hospital to get checked out to see how far along I was in the process or I could stay home until they got closer together. I decided to go to the hospital. I did not want to chance that the labor would speed up and I would not have time to get to the hospital.
On my way to the hospital I called my mom and told her to call out of work because I was in labor and on my way to the hospital. I also text messaged my sister to let her know. I was so excited on the way to the hospital, I was finally going to have my baby girl!
When we got to the hospital they brought us into the examination room and started hooking us up to the fetal heart rate monitor and the other one that measures the contractions. The heart rate monitor could not pick up a heart rate but I wasn't worried because I had been to the doctors 2 days before and everything was fine. They had also a hard time finding the heart rate but they did find it and said everything sounded fine. The nurse said she was going to get an ultrasound machine to see how the baby was positioned and to get the heart rate. She cam back in and could not find it still. At this point I am getting a little worried, but the nurse said she was going to get yet another ultra sound machine and the on call OB would do the ultrasound. Why John and I were waiting for them to come back in I was getting very worried. I started wiggling my belly and telling Addi to wake up and stop playing games because she was worrying her mommy and daddy. I don't know how long it took for the doctor to come in but it felt like forever. She tried to find the heart rate with the 2nd ultrasound machine and couldn't. At this point she put the machine off and looked at John and I with tears in her eyes and said "I'm sorry, your baby does not have a heart beat". I think I went into shock at the point. I think I yelled No! and covered my face with my hands. I refused to believe it, she had been fine 2 days before and I had felt her move the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment