Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ignorant Comments

Today my husband and I went furniture shopping at a small town store where the clerk knew me. I had not seen her since before Addison was born so I did not know if she knew that Addison had died. I am still not comfortable broaching the topic so I did not bring it up. About 1/2 way into the conversation she said she was sorry for our loss. I thanked her and nodded my head sadly when she said it was hard. She then said it was similar to when the doctors told her daughter, who is 6 months pregnant, that there was something wrong with the baby and they may need to abort the baby. I, of course, become immediately sympathetic. She then continues and says they ran tests and it turns out everything is fine. At this point I start getting upset, this is in no way similar to my circumstances. Yes, initially the doctors told her daughter she may have to abort the baby, so she would have also lost a baby. However, the baby is going to be fine, so no, it is not the same. Then she tells me it was God's will that Addison had died.

Since the day Addison died I said that is the last thing I want to hear. It doesn't even make sense! Was it really God's will to give my baby non-immune hydrops? Or make her heart twice the size of what it should have been? Or have her kidney's go into renal failure? I don't think it was. Saying it is God's will is what someone says when they don't know what else to say. In my opinion, if you don't know what to say, say nothing! It would mean more to me if the person gave me a hug or squeezed my hand sympathetically rather than say something if they don't know what to say. I really don't think that people realize that what they say to parents who have lost a child really impacts them. We really do remember the good and the bad things that are said to us.

Not long after I returned to work and before I got the autopsy results I had a co-worker tell me that the reason Addison died was because she was a girl and I was destined to have a boy. He said if I had been pregnant with a boy he would have lived. Then he asks me if I can't have a baby would I do a surrogate! I had not even received the autopsy results to know why Addison died and he is already assuming I can't have a live baby! The surprising part to this part of the story is, he has a baby! Those words really stuck with me so when my husband and I got the autopsy results I asked the pathologist if she had died because she was a girl. I explained why I was asking that question and after a moment of stunned silence she said absolutely not, it had noting to do with Addison's sex, it just happened and they don't know why it happened. Although the pathologist said it was not because Addison was a girl, I am still scared to get pregnant with a girl the next time. That comment will live in my head forever.

When people say these stupid and hurtful comments I freeze up. I can't even make a coherent thought, so I never tell them that what they are saying hurts me. Of course, later on I have all sorts of comments I wish I had said. I really wish just once I could tell the people that make these comments that what they are saying hurts and that their words last in my head long after our conversation. Maybe one day I will be able to.

4 comments:

  1. Was your co-worker high?!! Those are some of the stupidest "ignorant" comments I have heard! And they seem completely pointless and non comforting. If you remember that comment forever, please just think of it for what it was - dumb, heartless chatter - rather than foreshadowing.

    I don't like the "God's will" and "for the best" comments either. For me, they suggest that my higher power doesn't love me because my baby was taken away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, where do these idiot, psycho people come from? The world looked somewhat normal and then these creeps come from out of the woodwork. The worst part is that they mean well- which really infuriates me.

    "Just ignore them" would be the easy thing to say. I am sure you want to strangle them, or run from them screaming. I am sure we could trade hours of stories of people being stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with such idiots. I look forward to following your blog. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just started following your blog. i am so, so sorry about sweet addison. she is beautiful. that was sweet on your other entry when the doctor said she had your hands and feet. what a wonderful thing to hear. i wish someone had said that to me! i heard someone say "beth's baby" the other day, and that was music to my ears!

    you know, i have heard some real jewels... but i think "she died because you were destined to have a boy" definitely tops the charts. what on earth!? WHO SAYS THAT!? that is really the most ridiculous thing i have EVER heard. i am so terribly sorry you had to hear that.

    ReplyDelete